Neferata, Mortarch of Blood and Golden Rule

Had a situation come up and I had a few questions on triggering and interaction.

I have Neferata, Mortarch of Blood with a Born from Blood in front of her. Born from Blood goes off, and removes the opposing enemy unit. This causes me to search my deck and replace Born from Blood with Murderous Vargheist. The Vargheist does 2 damage when it comes into play.
At this point, I'm unclear on how things work. Since I removed a unit with Neferata, her ability triggers. So I go get a Murderous Vargheist from my graveyard and replace the one that I just put into play since her ability is mandatory. Then the new one does 2 damage? We decided it does the damage, but I'm not positive we played this interaction correctly.

Given that Neferata's ability is mandatory and makes you put a vampire from your hand or graveyard into play, what happens if you don't have one in your graveyard but do have one in your hand. Is it still mandatory? How can that be enforced?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• ZedlovskiZedlovski Posts: 8
    This is something I'm interested in as I've had similar events happen.
    I would argue it doesn't do the 2 damage.
    Rule 3.1 ".... A rotating card immediately applies it effect after entering play if the first corner doesn't have an X...."
    but then we have the key word "played"
    Play: The act of playing a card. If a card is moved into play as part of an effect, it is not considered to have been played.
    Id love to see a FAQ on this though.

Regarding your second question, if you have a vampire available, you must play it, the card doesn't give the option of "may". Just gotta plan those removals with a unit/spell that's going to expire any way.

- Zed
  • stubobjstubobj Posts: 44
    So im interested to see the official ruling for this. Triggers can interrupt other triggers. So when born from blood goes off on the 3rd corner you would remove a unit and then trigger Neferatas ability. You deploy your vampire over Born from blood. Now i would assume born from blood still finishes resolving but not too sure with this game since the card is no longer there. If it does then you would get another vampire. Any unit with a value for damage will do that damge when they come in.
  • ChampionChampion Posts: 415 ✭✭✭

@Lacutis said:
    Given that Neferata's ability is mandatory

It looks like you already know the answer :)

and makes you put a vampire from your hand or graveyard into play, what happens if you don't have one in your graveyard but do have one in your hand. Is it still mandatory?

The word "may" isn't in the text so why the confusion?

Just follow the text and try not to over think stuff.

• IssakianIssakian Posts: 52 Mod

Hi Guys
    Have just checked with the designers about this one and it works as follows:

1. Born from Blood triggers removing a unit from the opposing champions.
    2. Neferata, Mortarch of Blood triggers and interrupts Born from Blood, you then deploy a Vampire unit from either your hand or discard pile (this is mandatory).
    3. The Vampire unit replaces Born from Blood
    4. Born from Blood moves to the discard pile and the rest of its text is ignored.

The champions ability takes precedence over the spells ability and interrupts it mid flow.

• @Issakian said:
    Hi Guys
    Have just checked with the designers about this one and it works as follows:

1. Born from Blood triggers removing a unit from the opposing champions.
    2. Neferata, Mortarch of Blood triggers and interrupts Born from Blood, you then deploy a Vampire unit from either your hand or discard pile (this is mandatory).
    3. The Vampire unit replaces Born from Blood
    4. Born from Blood moves to the discard pile and the rest of its text is ignored.

The champions ability takes precedence over the spells ability and interrupts it mid flow.

Can we get confirmation that this is because of "Standard Order" and Champions are on the row preceding Ability Cards? Or is there some other reason it happens this way. I would rather understand "why" something happens than "how."

• IssakianIssakian Posts: 52 Mod

When a Unit or spell its triggered in the Battlefield Phase, it does so line by line, running down the cards text as it goes.
    The way Born from Blood works is set out below:
    1. Remove a Highlighted Unit
    2. Perform a removal check
    3. Deploy a Vampire Unit
    4. If the Vampire Unit came from the deck shuffle the deck

Champions such as Neferata and the Bloody Vampire Queen have reactive abilities - they trigger the instant their conditions are met. As Champions precede Units, Spells and Abilities in the standard order they can interrupt the running order of the cards.

So Born from Blood played on Neferata works like this:

1. Born From Blood Removes a Unit
    2. Neferata's Ability triggers and stops the rest of Born from Blood triggering
    3. After Neferata's ability is done, Born from Blood is already in the discard pile and so the player cannot complete the rest of the spell.

Any case where a Champions Passive ability triggers due to a card action, this will always interrupt the card action.

Hope this helps

• NoxNoxleyNoxNoxley Posts: 21Unconfirmed
    edited August 2018
    Thank you for clarifying! (Although I do not like the fact, that triggering another card prevents the rest of the card which started everything to take effect. But maybe it is easier this way to avoid complicated chain effects, where nobody really knows waht to do in which order ^^)
  • GodwinGodwin Posts: 17
    Yes, ok, came here for this.
    So basically Neferata should only be used with Devour, else you'll miss damage, extra action, healing etc. from spells and units that remove.

Tbh this seems WAY WEAKER than Bloody Vampire Queen. Replacing her this instant (just had made a deck with a recently-pulled Neferata and noticed that it works like this).