TCG Sleeve advice?

TCGangsterTCGangster Posts: 110 ✭✭✭

Hey all!

I've done some research into protective sleeves for the release of Champions and wanted to see what everyone uses or recommends?

I've run into a lot of people talking about KMC Hyper Matte and UltraPro Eclipses being a great option. I've also heard KMC Perfect Fits are nice to have for those more expensive pulls.

Let me know what you think! I'd love to hear from you all!

Disclaimer: (This post is purely informational on my behalf, if it breaks any T.O.S I apologize and understand if it needs to be taken down. I am also not trying to promote any product line.)

Comments

• DandyDandy Posts: 17

I use Dragonshield Matte sleeves. They're not the cheapest of sleeves but they're durable and readily available in most game stores in numerous colors.

• DecepticleDecepticle Posts: 55
    Dragonshields are pretty longlasting and durable. I used to be one who uses KMC but when Eclipses hit the market they have become my personal standby. They shuffle so smoothly and don't have any extra edge or bulk or anything on them. My only issue with them is they pick up dirt aggressively but if you use a mat you are fine.
  • TCGangsterTCGangster Posts: 110 ✭✭✭

@Dandy @Decepticle - Thank you, much appreciated.

• REDARMYSQUIRRELREDARMYSQUIRREL Posts: 588Moderator
    I was curious to know what to do here aswell so thanks for the info :)

@REDARMYSQUIRREL I’ve done more research on the topic of protective sleeves. I have found a plethora of information but I found this YouTube channel to be the most knowledgeable.

https://www.youtube.com/user/tolariancommunity

He has MANY insightful videos on TCG accessories including protective sleeves. In one of his most recent videos he praises the Dragon Shield Matte and Ultrapro Eclipses (@Dandy @Decepticle - Thank you BOTH for your prior posts, it seems you two had solid recommendations)

Below is a link to the specific video I referenced -

I truly hope the posts I make help at least one person, I'm just trying to be helpful to newcomers such as myself. The vast sea of information that is available in TCG community can be slightly overwhelming and I aim to reduce any frustrations people might have.

Thanks again everyone.

@TCGangster Thank you for this! This has truly been helpful. This is my first stab at any TCG so this helps me understand a little more towards what I am letting myself in for lol
  • JaDatoJaDato Posts: 128Moderator

I was an avid Dragonshield user until a buddy of mine bought me a pack of UltraPro Eclipse sleeves. Since then, I've been 100% UltraPro Eclipse for Pokemon, Star Wars Destiny, Final Fantasy TCG, Dragoborne and Lightseekers; some of the best/long lasting sleeves I've used.

Just my 2cents.

@JaDato It definitely says something about a product when it can convert you from a routine. I’ll have to keep that in mind!

Excuse my naivety but what does he mean by single sleeve and double sleeve in the video? He may have explained but if he has then I possibly missed it. Also what is the importance of this, if any?

edited June 2018

@REDARMYSQUIRREL Single sleeving is when you buy a standard pack of protective sleeves and put your cards into them, that’s it. They have a little room to move but not much.

Double sleeving is when you buy the standard protective sleeves AND something along the lines of “Perfect Size” sleeve which essentially means it fits SNUG around the playing card. This then allows you to put the card inside of a standard sleeve, essentially sleeving it twice for further protection. Typically used on more expensive cards or a deck.

Hope that helps clear it up? Any further questions I will update later.

Thanks!

EDIT : Formatting and proper links

edited June 2018

That clears my question up brilliantly! Cheers!

It appears my last post in this conversation was deleted. I am not sure what happened to it.

Seeing as it answered your question though I won't bother re-writing it. Sorry for that @REDARMYSQUIRREL

:neutral:

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0

I am puzzled as to where your comment has gone @TCGangster, I didn't remove it so not sure who did to be honest... thats odd.

Yea - It was a post with some decent information, but I unfortunately don't have the time to re-write it at the moment. I'll keep my eyes open and let you know if I can figure out what happened later this evening. I am quite perplexed! @Maximus

@TCGangster Well I luckily managed to catch it before it vanished :)

@Maximus Can you confirm Card Size? Will it be US Standard (Magic, Pokemon etc.) or will it be JP Standard (Yugioh). Or will that information be released at a later date?

If I had to guess, I would say, same Size and Stock as Lightseekers?

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0

Yes they will just be standard card size, exactly the same as Lightseekers.

Awesome, thanks for the info!

• successfulgeeksuccessfulgeek Posts: 22
    I'm trying to figure out how far in advance I want to get sleeves, as well as what colors to get so I have different colors for different decks.

@Maximus said:
    Yes they will just be standard card size, exactly the same as Lightseekers.

This is wonderful news! Thanks for the share.

@successfulgeek said:
    I'm trying to figure out how far in advance I want to get sleeves, as well as what colors to get so I have different colors for different decks.

@successfulgeek I've already started ordering my sleeves! The sleeves that I will be using in mass quantities I purchased bulk to save some $$$ and with an August 2nd release - I figured 'why not?'

Now, since I have an obsession of collecting things and making them 'unique' I purchased (in person) some sleeves for the campaign decks that come in the Founders Edition. I'll be doing the following:

• Gold sleeves for Order

• Green for Destruction

• Black for Death

• Red for Chaos

I understand that I will eventually ADD to or TAKE from these decks, but I don't know. I like the idea of immortalizing them. (Since they are the first campaign decks and come in the founders pack) I do however, plan on using these four 38 card decks to teach and introduce the game to people in my community so I want to jazz it up as much as possible and give people the vibe of conflicting factions.

I've got issues, but I've learned to embrace them. (HAHA) Here's to being extremely excited!

For those who prefer Art Sleeves, rather than the solid color, check out Miniature Market, they have some Warhammer Art Sleeves.

https://www.miniaturemarket.com/searchresults?q=warhammer+sleeves

As for me, I prefer Eclipse. I'll be playing Chaos, so my 30 card deck will be in Matt-Grey, while my Champions and Blessings will be in Matt-Red

Eclipse Matt-Grey: https://www.miniaturemarket.com/upr85611.html
    Eclipse Matt-Red: https://www.miniaturemarket.com/upr85250.html

In games where cards enter the battlefield before play begins, I always dual color my deck. Because if cards accidentally get shuffled in, it's always easy to distinguish what should and shouldn't be in the deck.

• successfulgeeksuccessfulgeek Posts: 22

@TCGangster said:

@successfulgeek said:

@successfulgeek I've already started ordering my sleeves! The sleeves that I will be using in mass quantities I purchased bulk to save some $$$ and with an August 2nd release - I figured 'why not?'

Now, since I have an obsession of collecting things and making them 'unique' I purchased (in person) some sleeves for the campaign decks that come in the Founders Edition. I'll be doing the following:

• Gold sleeves for Order

• Green for Destruction

• Black for Death

• Red for Chaos

I understand that I will eventually ADD to or TAKE from these decks, but I don't know. I like the idea of immortalizing them. (Since they are the first campaign decks and come in the founders pack) I do however, plan on using these four 38 card decks to teach and introduce the game to people in my community so I want to jazz it up as much as possible and give people the vibe of conflicting factions.

I've got issues, but I've learned to embrace them. (HAHA) Here's to being extremely excited!

Love the color choices! I am going to check my FLGS and see what they have.

@successfulgeek Awesome! Once you figure out what you're going to do OR purchase something - Let me know! I'd love to see the choices you made!

I am equally thrilled to know what my fellow comrades have chosen!

I think after looking a little further into this I'm going to go for the Eclipse sleeves. Judging by similar reviews of what you've shown me @TCGangster , they appear to be a popular brand. I possibly go for a similar format of colours per deck.

• GrendalGrendal Posts: 22
    regarding card BACKS...do we know if heroes / blessing/ other cards have different backs?

@Grendal I don’t believe that information has realeased yet. I do know however @Maximus has commented that in the future more towards release they will reveal more about card and deck specifics.

I’d say if we hold out a little longer we’ll know this information.

I’m curious as well!

• So we know for sure the card size?
    edited June 2018

@Founding_Champion It’s been mentioned they are standard gaming card size by @Maximus above in this post. He mentions they are same as LightSeeker cards.

Hope that helps!

• PunchausenPunchausen Posts: 41 ✭✭
    @TCGangster Awesome research, saved me a lot of time figuring out what sleeves to go for - thank you!