No wizard deck feasible?

Is it worth trying or would any deck I build just get crushed? Thinking of a beast unit and abilities deck with some orruks/grots for support.

Champions would be Gordrakk, 2x gore-grunta boss and a massive choppa.

Comments

• JaDatoJaDato Posts: 128Moderator

My cousin and I built a Destruction Deck for the Community-Driven Event on Saturday Night that featured 40+ people.

He placed 4th (Byron Wiley for those following on social media) and pretty much ran thru his first four games with minor hiccups. He didn't play a single Wizard.

Personally, for the time being, I see Wizards as a liability more than a resource in the games current state. This is just my opinion though, I hope others find a way to make them viable.

• ChampionChampion Posts: 415 ✭✭✭

Surely you should be asking if a no warrior deck is feasible.

• BlizzyBlake278BlizzyBlake278 Posts: 16
    @Champion i think i may make an all wizard deck. was deckbuilding last night. and the thought occurred to me that i should try it out. only alliance you can't do it with would be Death since there's only 2 Wizards in the base set. (FYI I'm talking straight Wizard, not war-wiz). OOO this has me excited to try this out.
  • ChampionChampion Posts: 415 ✭✭✭

You could only get three wizards out of Death sadly.
    Let us know how you get on.

• TheRedneckDMTheRedneckDM Posts: 28 ✭✭

@BlizzyBlake278 said:
    @Champion i think i may make an all wizard deck. was deckbuilding last night. and the thought occurred to me that i should try it out. only alliance you can't do it with would be Death since there's only 2 Wizards in the base set. (FYI I'm talking straight Wizard, not war-wiz). OOO this has me excited to try this out.

I'm thinking it's feasible, you just need to get some ways to rotate your cards in order to speed up the payoff.

• HollowsonHollowson Posts: 33
    Made a all warrior orruk deck aswell. Will try it out tonight. I think it will work just fine. Having units out and having a good stack of abilities in the deck I would say it brings out enough smadhing and bashing.
  • munkeykungfumunkeykungfu Posts: 26

I'm running a no wizard beast deck. It is bloody brutal!

• epokhepokh Posts: 2
    edited August 2018
    Using 0 wizards works fine in Destruction.
  • TeppicTeppic Posts: 18

Thanks for the feedback, will post up decklist and how it fared when I get back from the game store

• MoriarMoriar Posts: 53
    i've found wizards too prohibitive in my deck as i end up with a load of cards that are wizard only. going to run a warrior only deck see how that goes. just got to play around and see which champions i want to use.
  • CathyCathy Posts: 51 ✭✭

I'll be interested to see how your all Wiz deck works out.

• TeppicTeppic Posts: 18

Made the following deck with the cards I have:

Champions:
    Gordrakk, Fist of Gork
    Gore-Grunta Boss x 2
    Massive Choppa Warboss

Blessings:
    Renewed War-Lust
    Smash and Bash
    Might of Gork
    Ushering of the Waaagh!

Units:
    Arachnarok Spider x2
    Stomping Maw-Krusha x3
    Orruk Shield Bashers x3
    Orruk Scrappers x3
    Meat Shield Grots
    Surprising Skulkers
    Crowded Wolf Chariot
    Frenzied Warboar x2
    Pouncing Wolf Rider x3

Abilities:
    Deadly Chop x3
    Mob Rule x 3
    Waaagh! Call x2
    Mosh Pit x2
    Tactical Formation

The deck won both matches I played against pretty easily. Got pretty lucky one match with my first blessing being Ushering of the Waaagh!. drawing and deploying 3 units followed by the Heroic Action of Gordrakk to rotate them to their final circle. 5 damage from a boar and 7 damage from a spider (thanks to the Gore-Grunta bonuses), a pouncing wolf rider did another 1 damage and gave me another action and Orruk Scrappers with 1 support did another 6. Threw down a Mosh Pit on the scrappers for 4 more damage to finish off the opponent.

One match was versus Order and the blowout match was versus another Destruction deck.

Obviously it could do with a little refinement as there's a scattershot of singles to fill out my deck but is there anything missing that would obviously improve the deck?

• nice deck list
  • ReinhardtReinhardt Posts: 15
    Deck looks good! Nice synergy and great burst damage potential. Round out a few more cards and I think its really really solid.

The Pouncing Wolf Riders are really nice for the extra actions and poke damage - if you really wanted to overwhelm with actions (and keep that card draw up too if needed!) you Can also try to squeeze in Waagh Chanters which are x 1 1 1 and each corner is an additional action for the turn.
  • KarnageKarnage Posts: 158Moderator Mod

Order is the only alliance that has a chance at a feasible wizard only champion deck. 2 of the wizards can summon beast unit types and Order just has so many good spells that are quick hitters. The Beast that you can play are also great at quick damage. It is not a deck relying on blessing as mush as just getting those spells out quick and hitting for big damage. Each alliance as of right now have 3 cards per deck that can remove Spell type cards. So when you are playing 9 spells that hit for 7 or more damage and about 9 more that hit for at least 4. 3 of those gain you more life as well. This deck im brewing up looks to be a somewhat viable deck.

• SlapChopzSlapChopz Posts: 125 ✭✭

I use a Gaunt summoner and Archaon in my Chaos deck and it would be much slower without access to certain spells and abilities

• GrotKingGrotKing Posts: 1
    edited August 2018
    snazzgar , cunnin grot shaman, and sneaky grot shaman are all very good cards to run with spells all work really well together. call of war is probably one of the best spells in the game atm allowing you to literally find that one unit to stack and combo with others, if I had 3 I would run them all with a grot list, plus a arcane bolt for snazgarr to pop once a game for a quick spell (or any quick spell thats powerful). the problem is you still need some beef, your best bet is the rip tooth mega boss, hes easy to turn on his own and dosent require much to do so. with the points left over from your wizards (7) theres little choice. and another shaman would be to much in my opinion, but you could always switch it up see how it works. but thats my list im working on anyways. let me know your opinions all, I know there orks and there made to fight but grots on the otherhand, just look how they can stack combos like nuts and you will see what I mean.
  • WastelanderWastelander Posts: 14
    > @munkeykungfu said:
    > I'm running a no wizard beast deck. It is bloody brutal!

This is what I'm going for as Ork as well..need some more cards though. Who needs a bloody wizard/shaman when you've got Orks and beasts!!
  • dirtcheapdirtcheap Posts: 27
    I cant wait to play your deck. Its looks pretty tight.
  • shillshill Posts: 13
    yeah currently trying a orruk stack deck with the bonesplitter shaman. can get some impressive burst with arcan bolts/gaze of mork even if you only manage to proc the effect once as the stacks themselves do plenty of damage
  • VhenlarVhenlar Posts: 28

I am missing some cards from your deck [sad]

• ubersmurfsubersmurfs Posts: 17
    Da Grots got da bestest wizzard wit da mushroom head.