Stand fast

How does standfast work? It stops the card either side of it rotating.

On the start of a turn, does this mean they don't rotate but still activate their effects? Doesn't the standard order mean that the one on the right of it never gets the effect as stand fast will rotate, get exhausted, and be removed before it gets to that cards time to rotate?

Or am I understanding it's use wrong and its designed for blocking clunky cards so they can be uses multiple times?

Comments

• REDARMYSQUIRRELREDARMYSQUIRREL Posts: 588Moderator

Hi @iosefward

So this card essentially does what you said. It prevents cards rotating forwards or even backwards. This can help prevent enemies from forcibly rotating your cards out or even delay your damage a turn. All depends on the cards played in the slots.
    So at start of your turn, you rotate cards as normal.
    Then you deploy stand fast.
    Cards on left and right now become fixed.
    Following turn. The stand fast card rotates out and I believe all other cards rotate as normal.

Hope this helps

• iosefwardiosefward Posts: 5
    Ok, great, so it's doing what I expected but I'm just not sure on it's utility yet. Suspect it'll be a niche tech card then.

Surely the second turn the card on the left wouldn't rotate as stand fast is still in play, but the one on the right would rotate as stand fast would have been exhausted at that point? Probably great for the 10 damage reduction spell and mystic shields, less good for damage corners!

I would say they both still rotate. I don't believe you treat removal results on a lane by lane basis. Its application seems to me is to purely protect from forced rotation. Order doesn't have any clunky cards so it won't help much there.

• My understanding is that when you play this card you put the passive effect into play.
    So from that point on, until the card becomes exhausted, the effect is active.

That means, at the start of the turn, units either side don't rotate. The spell does, then becomes exhausted.
    Then you check for passive effects (this one will end), then you discard exhausted cards (this spell). Then you apply the effects of any cards in play, in this case, whichever units you have out on the battlefield.

What this means in practice is that you get an extra turn out of whatever units this spell affects.
    As well as stopping anyone rotating them out early.

I agree It's certainly possible that the cards on either side would not rotate until the stand fast card has rotated out, thus giving you an additional turn of no movement. Possibly @Issakian can clear this one up.

Aha, fantastic, that clears it up a lot. I had my timing off with when passives are re-evaluated (after everything has resolved rather than as the card is exhausted).
  • BryanBryan Posts: 12

@Champion has it correct. :) Stand Fast is the one reason I'm trying to squeeze Celestant-Prime into my deck, but you can't play Celestant-Prime and Vorrus Starstrike together and that makes me very, very sad.

• IssakianIssakian Posts: 52 Mod

@Champion is correct, this can be really nasty when playing it inbetween Hurricane Raptors and Disruptive Liberators to further shut down your opponents board as well as dealing more damage.

edited August 2018

Thanks Issakian! :)

• omnithomnith Posts: 1
    So, if a card is "active" does its corner effects trigger? Or is the only benefit is that passive effects stick around another turn? Sorry, if this is obvious, I'm just not getting it.
  • SlapChopzSlapChopz Posts: 125 ✭✭

@Issakian said:
    @Champion is correct, this can be really nasty when playing it inbetween Hurricane Raptors and Disruptive Liberators to further shut down your opponents board as well as dealing more damage.

Two of them, stand fast, and a healing relictor can shut down loads
  • UnNerv3dUnNerv3d Posts: 12
    I've been testing this card in a storm cast restart deck and it is an unsung hero! It is very nice alongside Celesteant Prosecutor, Hurrican Raptor, and Paladin Decimator.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 1
    Hi Guys,
    i think i still don`t get it.

if you do the sub-phases in order, you will first rotate all your cards, which means "stand fast" is also rotated:

4.2.2: Phase 2 - Battlefield Phase
    All cards in the Battlefield now resolve their effects through four sub-phases.
    • Rotate all ‘Smooth’ rotating cards 1 step forwards (90 degrees anti-clockwise).
    • Update the state of any passive effects. All passive effects on rotating cards that are not about to be ‘Exhausted’ and are not on a corner with an ‘X’ are now considered active, while the rest are inactive. A passive effect is an effect that modifies other effects, trigger as a response to other effects, or ‘Last Stand’ effects (see ‘5.7: Keywords’).
    • Discard all ‘Exhausted’ cards, in Standard Order (see ‘5.1: Standard Order’).

next step is you update the state of any passive effects:
    All passive effects on rotating cards that are not about to be ‘Exhausted’ and are not on a corner with an ‘X’ are now considered active, while the rest are inactive.

all rotating Cards that are not about to be exhausted are now active = but i think this card is already exhausted because it hits an empty corner before you update the state of any passive effect.

Am i wrong ? My english is not the best and maybe i misunderstood something ?!
  • HapyooHapyoo Posts: 20
    its for control desks
  • remorhazremorhaz Posts: 42
    edited August 2018
    Imagine you have two hurricane raptors. One is on corner 1 and the other is on corner 2.. you have a wizard say celestant prime cuz he’s the order wizard warrior all the cool kids play cast stand fast.

Start of the next turn rotate all cards ...neither of the hurricane raptors can rotate because of the text on stand fast but stand fast does rotate.

Update all passive effects...stand fast is exhausted so now the hurricane raptors can rotate as normal but we are already past rotation phase.

Discard stand fast because it’s now on an empty corner

Trigger the hurricane raptors 1 and 2 damage corners.

Stand fast is basically to keep units like hurricane raptors and disruptive liberators on the board longer.
  • SarovanSarovan Posts: 29
    Sweet
  • RockarchyRockarchy Posts: 24

both hurricane raptors will stay in play and trigger the same effect 2 turns in a row.

• Its a very niche card and I'm personally not sold on it.