Lord-Castellant "Stop hitting yourself" Beast Deck

TopHatCatTopHatCat Posts: 92

Quick theorycraft that requires plenty of playtesting before being considered even remotely serious/finished haha!

< Champions >
Lord-Castellant (8)
Lord-Castellant (8)
Isharann Soulrender (3)
Liberator-Prime (1)

< Units > 18
3x Biovoltaic Morrsarr Guard
3x Stardrake
3x Enraged Allopex
3x Aetherwing Scout (might swap Scout/Alpha numbers 2/3 depending on how dead cloggy Scout feels)
2x Alpha Gryph-Charger
1x Razorshell Leviadon
3x Hurricane Raptor

< Abilities > 12
3x Jaws of Death
3x Divine Vengeance
3x Lord of the Host
3x Triumphant Smash

< Blessings >
Savage Loyalty
Swift Judgement
Divine Blast
Blessed Weapons

The deck focuses around having Beasts infront of Lord-Castellant, ruining the day of aggro decks. Soulrender can be a very interesting card, being able to fetch back Morrsarr Guards late game for crazy removal. And Lib-Prime is just there for 1 cost bro.
Scout can chill infront of Castellant all day, and also help buff up the damage of Allopex and Gryphs, Hurricane Raptors are there for value (really good card) and to give the possibility of triggering the last corner of Lib-Prime.
Lord of the Host is best saved for Castellants final corner... But when combined with cards like Stardrake or late-game Morrsarr Guards that's some FABULOUS value.

Otherwise, the deck is J U I C Y, Jaws of Death and Divine Vengeance offer the chance to do some crazy high burst, along with your Stardrake you have some hefty damage output. Beyond that, it's all about getting the most out of your weaker beasts, playing Gryph against high cost champions, or Allopex in a damaging lane/after damage, or next to your scouts, etc.

I legit wish I could just run 4 Savage Loyalty haha, it's a ton of fun. Otherwise Divine Blast/Swift Judgement are just nice spike damage to go with Jaws and Vengeance, the 4th Blessing slot is up in the air, I was tempted by healing, but I've just gone for Blessed Weapons, to buff up our weaker Beast units like Allopex/Gryphs.

I think the biggest issue the deck faces is.... Getting our Champions quests done could be very tricky, it's a wide spread and a lot of them require exact cards, needing to draw/save atleast 2 of your Lord of the Host for Castellant's final corner, needing to find your Stormcast for the Lib-Prime, saving your Removal for Soulrender.... It's a bit tricky. I had considered running 2 Namarti Soul Feeders for Castellant and comboing with Soulrender, but deck space is always so tight..

But for now, here's the basic idea/concept. With some play-testing I might try and improve it! Otherwise just bit of fun :D

Comments

• WhizzwangWhizzwang Posts: 34 ✭✭

Collar of domination is a thing. You''re going to want some non-beast damage units

• @Whizzwang said:
    Collar of domination is a thing. You''re going to want some non-beast damage units

If that became a concern I would probably swap either Allopex or Gryph's for 2-3 Namarti Soul Feeders, otherwise we have the 3 Stormcast, but wouldn't call them damaging units. Regardless that's a hard counter to the deck no matter what, would just have to try and rely on Castellants damage plus Jaws/DV, otherwise just a bad match-up, not much you can do besides play a totally different deck haha

• ChampionChampion Posts: 415 ✭✭✭

For everyone's convenience.

• Mulling it over, I have swapped the 2 Alpha Gryph-Charger's for 2 Namarti Soul Feeders, deck has plenty of removal, they can assist the Lord-Castellants final corner, and they have Aelf synergy for Soulrender and Razorshell.

So Deck Update;
    -2 Alpha Gryph-Charger
    +2 Namarti Soul Feeder

• SlapChopzSlapChopz Posts: 125 ✭✭

Is Collar of Domoniation being used commonly anyway?

Also, I really like this deck idea

I don't like that you have three cards for Razorshell's effect. Maybe it doesn't need to be here?

• TopHatCatTopHatCat Posts: 92
    edited August 2018

@SlapChopz said:
    I don't like that you have three cards for Razorshell's effect. Maybe it doesn't need to be here?

It's only there as a 1 of to be a combo piece, save it/bring it back from discard then do big damage. It actually has 5 targets now as if you read the replies you'll see I updated the deck to include 2 Soul Feeders :) but yeah mainly for going off with Soulrender/saving an Aelf in hand. (But even more so was just there as a test card, something I'm playtesting with, might get cut in future iterations) :wink:

And pretty sure Collar is only being run in some Destro Beast decks (and even then not always). So will depend how popular that deck is/how quick they get the blessing out/how much damage they take before then... but in future if they allow sideboards and can swap Blessings it might become a biiig deal 🤣

• CoffeeBlitzCoffeeBlitz Posts: 41
    The more I think of this deck the more I think tactical formation is needed.
    You really need a way to swap your champs to fix the positioning.

If Lord C is across from a mage, hes useless. If Lord C is across from a dedicated removal champ, hes not very good either. if Lord C is across from a defensive champ, also ineffective.

During the initial champ placement, theres a very good chance you'll have one Lord C across from a champ that doesn't allow him to do his work.
  • Y'know I quite like that idea! A lot in fact.... Yeah, I might try and work in Tac Formation, perhaps cut 1 Razorshell and 1 Diving Vengeance, perhaps 1 Lord of the Host (tho kinda need it for quests). Plus it could be used aggressively, move infront of a 4 corner unit or something.

But yeah completely agree, will think about how I can rework to include 2-3! :)

• JKRibbzJKRibbz Posts: 1Unconfirmed
    So the stardrake discard... Is it mandatory? As it states as it enters play this it has been played discard a card. If I have no card to discard.... What happens?
  • The card reads "As this enters play" so if you have no cards in hand you discard nothing, card is already in play (not limbo) so it's not a 'cost', just an effect.

• Decklist update;
    -1 Divine Vengeance
    -1 Aetherwing Scout
    +2 Tactical Formation
    Pretty simple, having 2 Tac and 2 Scouts allows you to reposition your Lord-C (Thanks for that tip Coffee!), letting him shift infront of acting Units.

Still thinking of cutting the 1 of Razorshell, just wanna playtest it some, deck now has more Aelf's
    (Earlier Deck Update;
    -2 Alpha Gryph-Charger
    +2 Namarti Soul Feeder)
    So better chance of saving cards/triggering it, plus Soul Feeders help Lord-C's final corner.

But yup! That's how it's looking for now :D

< Champions >
    Lord-Castellant (8)
    Lord-Castellant (8)
    Isharann Soulrender (3)
    Liberator-Prime (1)

< Units > 17
    3x Stardrake
    3x Enraged Allopex
    2x Aetherwing Scout
    3x Biovoltaic Morrsarr Guard
    2x Namarti Soul Feeder
    1x Razorshell Leviadon
    3x Hurricane Raptor

< Abilities > 13
    3x Jaws of Death
    2x Divine Vengeance
    3x Lord of the Host
    3x Triumphant Smash
    2x Tactical Formation

< Blessings >
    Savage Loyalty
    Swift Judgement
    Divine Blast
    Blessed Weapons

• CoffeeBlitzCoffeeBlitz Posts: 41

Just noticed that Aetherwing Scout has a heroic act that does the same thing as tactical formation.

Putting it in my decks now :D

• VraelVrael Posts: 17

Looks like a really fun deck idea. Will have a play on Sunday with it and report back with my experience :)

• KolfenKolfen Posts: 14
    Yep, looks like a fun deck. Ill try it out.
  • ZyrrisysZyrrisys Posts: 16
    Looks cool!
  • zenmazsterzenmazster Posts: 6
    Wow that's so awesome that someone else (apparently before me) had this same idea. I'll share my decklist and some thoughts:

Lord castellant x2
    Liberator prime x2 (for the extra health)

Armour of destiny
    Healing storm
    Divine blast
    Swift judgement

Blessings are for defense heal as this deck takes a lot of damage.

Alpha gryph charger x3
    Disruptive liberator x2
    Enraged allopex x2
    Jaws of death x3
    Tactical formation x3
    Divine vengeance x2
    Hurricane raptor x3
    Lord of the host x1
    Triumphant smash x3
    Aetherwing scout x3
    Akhellian barrier guards x3
    Biovoltaic morrsarr guard x1

Your decklist really has me thinking about a lot of things, especially the stardrakes which I at first dismissed because I can't stand discarding cards, but maybe I should reconsider. Especially with how awesome our triumphant smash is. Yes stardrakes removed a creature, but we have tactical formations!

I think the most important cards are scout and tactical form. That with Lord c is the combo. Jump around, they keeping hitting themselves for 3 while you react.

I find myself drawing a lot, waiting patiently, timing damage perfectly.

Charger is for 6 damage preferably, 50/50 chance if 6 damage And a Lord c card, great card.

I love the hurricanes a lot to push them into Lord c lane, but I'm not sold on the disruoy liberator. Maybe I will sub these out for stardrakes.

Allopex is absolutely crucial and amazing. Especially with triumphant smash.

3 jaws of death is a must.

Barrier guards are nice to soak up damage, and work with liberator, but sometimes go against the grain of taking damage, so have to be careful. I like them a lot but could see trading them out

Morrsar guard I'm not sold on at all. To me, and one of the main issues of the deck as previously mentioned is it's hard to hit your quest. So for now he's another beast body just in case I bit a quest, otherwise I guess I can pitch Bim to stardrakes.

Lord of the host I should probably throw in one more.
  • This was made back in the Founders Alpha, heck I was building them in Tabletop Simulator because the app didn't have a deck builder implemented yet lol! Sooo it's been updated a bit since haha!

Here's my most upto date version;
    https://forum.warhammerchampions.com/discussion/1112/deck-list-lord-castaelfant/

Also too, (I haven't looked at your deck list yet), I've abondoned the healing guys they're just very situational.

In other news, I absolutely love the Lord of the hosts, amazing card, I also love the Drake's, 5 damage with Lord of the hosts is amazing.

Surpringly I always have a lot of cards, since I always draw 2 cards first before I do anything, and I can drop a scout and draw. Very very reactive.

I place four games in ranked yesterday, won three, lost fourth by one point to chaos.

Weakness is 7 damage spell (bolt) and I'd like more healing
    Won four
  • Yeah read up you'll get some good info :)

I agree the healing Aelf's are really sub optimal, Lord of the Host is a power horse tho dang, so good.