Claws of the Grave + Unhallowed Mortis Engine

TopHatCatTopHatCat Posts: 92

So, I'm very curious. How do these 2 cards interact?

Claws of the Grave copies the final corner of the top unit on your discard pile, I assume doing damage/copying it's effect.
Whilst Unhallowed Mortis Engine buffs spell damage by 2, so say my top discard pile card was Charging Black Knight, would the 2nd and 3rd corner of Claws of the Grave deal 2dmg and remove the highlighted enemy unit? And if so... would the Mortis Engine increase that damage to 4? After all Claws of the Grave IS a Spell, it's just copying the effects, right?

I mean, I assume that's correct, it is still a spell, just copying the value and effect, so should work?
But yeah just wanted to get some second opinions :) Thanks!

(The mentioned cards, for those who want to read the exact wording)

Comments

• IssakianIssakian Posts: 52 Mod

Hi
    That is correct, Claws of the Grave would copy the Charging Black Knights damage and effect and the Mortis Engine would increase the damage as the Claws is a Spell.

So for 2 turns you get 4 damage and the chance to remove a unit from in front of the Claws Spell.

• That is SO exciting!! I know what my next deck is going to work in haha! I really underestimated Mortis Engine. Thank you Issaki! :)

• Just another quick one @Issakian , If you had no unit on top of your discard pile, would Mortis Engine still grant +2 damage or would it have no effect since Claws has no current value? (Pretty sure it doesn't add +2 but worth asking!)

• SlapChopzSlapChopz Posts: 125 ✭✭

I want to know if Claws could use the heroic act or Last stand

• munkeykungfumunkeykungfu Posts: 26

@SlapChopz said:
    I want to know if Claws could use the heroic act or Last stand

No, because it only says to copy the corner.

• IssakianIssakian Posts: 52 Mod

Hi all,
    @TopHatCat If you don't have a unit, then claws of the grave would not have value, or an ability to deal damage so unhallowed mortis engine would have no effect.

Claws of the Grave can have Last Stand and Heroic Act effects, it will still rotate normally so you would only have two turns to use the he4oic act before the claws exhausts.

• Has there been something clearing up the wording of claws? It says last discarded card, so I was under the impression that it checked the last card you discarded, not what is the top of your discard pile.
  • It's awkward wording but after you use a card or it exhausts or gets removed etc it counts as Discarded, caus it goes to the discard pile. So yeah it's whatever is ontop at the time. Dumb wording I know especially when they have cards that say "Discard a card" but yeaaah... Hope that helps

• ChampionChampion Posts: 415 ✭✭✭

@HandofThanatos said:
    Has there been something clearing up the wording of claws? It says last discarded card, so I was under the impression that it checked the last card you discarded, not what is the top of your discard pile.

So are you saying that Claws of the Grave only references units in your Discard pile that have arrived there through the activation of the Discard Keyword?
    That’s 10 out of 278 cards. Discounting things that can’t be interacted with by the Death faction such as Stardrake, Arachnarok Spider, etc. that leaves five cards.
    How are the cards arriving in your discard pile then?
    :)

edited August 2018

Yes. I emailed play fusion and it refers to top of discard pile. Additionally, the comprehensive rules clears this up. All cards the end up in the discard are discarded. Refer to the rule section regarding remove. Remove says the cards are removed from the field and discarded.

Claws only looks at the top of discard pile

edited August 2018

Also, 100th post above

• MrWorldwideMrWorldwide Posts: 3
    Another sort of related question. Suppose you have Arcane Bolt, Unhallowed Mortis Engine, Claws of the Grave in that arrangement left to right and a Zombie Dragon as the top card of your discard pile. In the battlefield phase, when all those cards rotate, if Arcane Bolt is rotated past its last corner (to an empty corner) and Claws of the Grave is rotated to its final corner in the same battlefield phase, does the Claws of the Grave (CotG) have no effect due to Standard Order which would make Arcane Bolt at the top of the discard pile before CotG resolves its corner?
  • Correct, cards get exhausted before stuff resolves so top card of your discard wouls be Arcane Bolt :(

• Thought I understood claws but after seeing some different discussions I feel a bit confused. I dont understand how claws is getting last stand and heroic acts. The card is only getting the effect of the last corner and neither of those are a corner effect. Can someone explain?