Rules question

If a card says something happens when it comes into play, but you can’t do it, can you still play the card?

Example: Stardrake says to discard 1 card when it enters play. If it was your last card, and you can’t discard, can you still play him?

Comments

• SlapChopzSlapChopz Posts: 125 ✭✭

I think you can play it. If the card said "Discard 1 Card to play this card" it would be different

• ChampionChampion Posts: 415 ✭✭✭

Obviously this is the perfect time to play him :)

The card discard is an effect of bringing him into play not a cost to do so.

• UKDreadnaughtUKDreadnaught Posts: 121Moderator Mod

As champion said, its not a cost to play the card but an effect of it.

• KhelthrosKhelthros Posts: 17
    Awesome. That's how we've been handling it, but former magic players thought differently. Thanks guys.
  • thaKingRockathaKingRocka Posts: 11
    I know this is an old one, but I'm curious to know what section of the rules explains this.
  • 406punisher406punisher Posts: 11Applicant
    In the digital game, it allows you to play cards with this effect when you have no other cards in your hand, so for sure you can do this.
  • 4BitBaker4BitBaker Posts: 83Moderator Mod

Hey Everyone

Correct, you pretty much read the text per states
    If you don't have a hand you can't discard any cards resulting in the Stardrake naturally coming into play.

Discard going to be a focus as well in the upcoming Savagery set with additional discarding and effects too

I'd like to know where in the rules this is explained though. Every game has its own idiosyncracies. I'm just not sure where it explains this.
  • 4BitBaker4BitBaker Posts: 83Moderator Mod

Hey thaKingRocka

This should give you your explanation you need from our official rules :)

2.2.2: The effects of a card are not optional, unless a card says they are. You always do as much as you can when you play a card (not being able to do part, or all of a card’s effects does not by itself stop the card from being played.)

https://www.warhammerchampions.com/rules/

Perfect. Thank you. I was foolishly looking everywhere but the golden rules. Of course.