What games do you or did you play prior to Champions?

Psypher1000Psypher1000 Posts: 32
Just curious about the gaming paths we've taken to get to this point. Feel free to include video and tabletop games.

Comments

• TheRedneckDMTheRedneckDM Posts: 28 ✭✭

Still DMing my groups D&D campaign and dabbling in MtG, specifically EDH, and Shadespire. My gaming career started in the 90s with D&D and Battletech. I've probably forgotten more games than I remember playing at this point. :dizzy:

• I mainly play no/low luck "euro" style board games, the occasional card game and a few miniatures games; as for video games, I used to mainly play FPSs, but they've all got a bit boring n silly (with everyone running around in circles, like sugar-rushing ADHD sufferers). I recently got into Lego Dimensions (as some of the supermarkets have been clearing their stock out for pennies), although I have to be feeling really bored and lazy to boot up the console.

• KhelthrosKhelthros Posts: 17
    I can trace everything back to Dragon Warrior on the NES. It opened up the world of RPG’s to me. Later on that lead to Dungeons and Dragons. Which lead to other things like Magic: The Gathering, Final Fantasy (all of them), Warcraft, Starcraft, and Pathfinder. Pathfinder is what got me into a larger store where I discovered Warmachine/Hordes, and eventually landed me at Warhammer. Since getting into Warhammer, the rest went by the wayside and now I’m a painter.
  • Psypher1000Psypher1000 Posts: 32

@TheRedneckDM said:
    I've probably forgotten more games than I remember playing at this point. :dizzy:

I hear that.

Not many people call it EDH any more. Sounds like you're a bit of an OG. Shadespire looks really great to me, but I have so many other games right now that if I picked it up I feear it would just be another game that I barely get to play (and remain criminally unpainted).

• SlapChopzSlapChopz Posts: 125 ✭✭

Euro board games, Yu-gi-oh. I miss the UpperDeck days of Yu-gi-oh

@WibbleNut said:
    I mainly play no/low luck "euro" style board games

Farming in the Mediterranean! Not my speed, but respect nonetheless. What are some of your faves? Have you tried La Granja yet?

@WibbleNut said:
    I used to mainly play FPSs, but they've all got a bit boring n silly (with everyone running around in circles, like sugar-rushing ADHD sufferers).

We played the **** out of Halflife in the dorms back in the day. Now I look at things like Fortnight and I don't even recognize it. Lost my twitch some time ago, anyway, so I suppose it's for the best. I'd get head-shot in an insant.

@Khelthros said:
    I can trace everything back to Dragon Warrior on the NES...which lead to other things like Magic: The Gathering, Final Fantasy (all of them), Warcraft, Starcraft, and Pathfinder. Pathfinder is what got me into a larger store where I discovered Warmachine/Hordes, and eventually landed me at Warhammer. Since getting into Warhammer, the rest went by the wayside and now I’m a painter.

When I was a heavy console gamer it pained me greatly that more of the DW series wasn't brought over to the US. The original was wonderful but I don't think I've played any of them since. I loved the FF series as well, although I fear what Squenix is going to do with the remake of it. Looks like they're going ARPG; I have no problem with ARPG's in a vacuum, but FF7 will never be an ARPG to me. I will likely end up playing it just to "watch" it and see what they do with some of those highly-memorable cutscenes.

The first game I ever remember learning to play is poker. 5-card stud, to be specific. Learned that and 5-card draw at four years old, and still play to this day. While I'm an above-average player and lifetime profitable at the cash tables, I wouldn't call myself a gambler. I'm no stranger to Las Vegas, but I'm much more about the game than the gamble.

My life changed in third grade when someone showed me the AD&D Players Handbook and I realized that characters could be represented in a game through statistics and probabilities. I rolled a ranger. He promptly died, but that was irrelevant. The RPG hook was set, and I'd never look back. I'd have to work around my folks who were convinced by the church that D&D was inspired by Satan and I'd **** myself if I played, but I remain an RPG player at heart and am currently fully invested into the 5e world. I'm also currently infatuated with the TinyD6 system, and the Tiny Dungeon 2e book specifically (although if robots or supers are your things, they also have core books for those sub-genre's as well). Well worth the PDF purchase if you're interested in simplified, quick-start, muggle-friendly entires in the RPG realm.

I first started video gaming on the Atari 2600 (roots, baby!) and the Vic20, then moved up to the NES where I promptly fell in love with The Legend of Zelda which I still one of my top 5 video games to this day. Next console I would own is the PS and I've stuck w/the PS line ever since, although now my PS4 is largely just a Netflix box - I barely play console games any more.

Played the tar out of WoW up through Wrath, then stepped away. My first, and still favorite, MMORPG is Ragnarok. I don't do much PC gaming any longer, although I'm sure I will again once/if Squadron 42, Star Citizen, and/or Diablo 4 are ever released.

I picked up some M:TG starters and a handful of boosters back in Revised. I hung it up around 9th, then picked it back up again around Kahns, then sold it all about a year ago. I do buy some Comander and Duel Deck content just to have some pre-con items laying around in case my spouse or friends want to play, and I still follow the MTG world...I just don't play any more. I played Pokemon TCG when it first launched and was quite good, but felt very awkward doing so, so I quit after the third expansion. I didn't want to be viewed as "that creepy guy."

I've judged card games going back to when Decipher first launched LotR, but my heaviest involvement was with the .hack//ENEMY card game where I judged the world championships. Volunteering for Decipher changed my life by introducing me to folks in the gaming industry that I'm good friends with to this day. From there I've judged, demo'd, helped develop OP programs, and play-tested a number of card games. I'm much more into board games these days, but I've always said I would take interest in a game that was a) in an interesting universe, and b) allowed me to play both IRL and online with the same cards. So here we are.

• @Psypher1000 I own La Granja, but it's still on my "pile of shame" and waiting to be played :blush:
    I no particular order, some of my favourite titles include Via Nebula, Chicago Express, Twilight Struggle, Friedrich, The Great Zimbabwe, Colosseum, Steam and (because the list has to include something farming related :p ) Agricola.

I used to love Call of Duty: World at War; my K/D ratio on hardcore got ridiculous at one point, over 200 (silenced SVT40 and Bouncing Betties being my weapons of choice) but it used to stress the **** out of me if i died and ruined my stats lol ended up using my lodger's account just so I start enjoying the game again. Loved CoD:Modern Warfare 2 and 3, spent a lot of time playing Battlefield 4, but whilst the graphics are always improving, the gameplay seems to be going backwards :(

@WibbleNut said:
    it's still on my "pile of shame" and waiting to be played :blush:

HA! I know this pile all too well! Glad to know I'm not the only one.

You've got some solid games on your list there. La Granja was definitley worth playing, but had a few too many things going on for me. I preferred Agricola over La Granja, but I like some of Rosenberg's later, more refined efforts better such as Feast for Odin. If you haven't played that one yet, I recommend a playthrough of it if for no other reason than comparison purposes.

• Tournament play:

Took Magic: TG to Nationals level and top 8'd some PTQs at my peak (also wrote some articles for TCGPlayer).

Did the travelling tournament circuit for Dreamblade and World of Warcraft miniatures. Best years of my life. I think I still have some loots if some WoW heads want to trade for Warhammer Champions cards (I think I have at least one rando scratch-off El Polio Grande somewhere in a vault, amongst other rare loots. The Spectral Tigers were all sold off long ago, I'm afraid.)

Casual tournaments for Android Netrunner and now Warhammer Underworld: Shadespire. There's no prize support so can't afford hotels and flights just to play with fellow nerds on these ones.

Casual:

Arkham Horror LCG, Gloomhaven and other boardgames (Pandemic, Pandemic Legacy, Dead of Winter, Fury of Dracula, Tyrants of the Underdark, Path of Light and Shadow, etc etc etc)
  • KrechevskoyKrechevskoy Posts: 23
    I actually played Lightseekers and it got me hooked on AOSC
  • KhelthrosKhelthros Posts: 17
    I can trace everything back to Dragon Warrior on the NES. It opened up the world of RPG’s to me. Later on that lead to Dungeons and Dragons. Which lead to other things like Magic: The Gathering, Final Fantasy (all of them), Warcraft, Starcraft, and Pathfinder. Pathfinder is what got me into a larger store where I discovered Warmachine/Hordes, and eventually landed me at Warhammer. Since getting into Warhammer, the rest went by the wayside and now I’m a painter.

I honestly didn’t intend on linking everything together, but it kind of happened as my thoughts became text, hah.
  • ChampionChampion Posts: 415 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or are a lot of double posts and double threads appearing?

A new forum update perhaps?

• HapyooHapyoo Posts: 20
    dragonball so happy i moved on
  • drakiradrakira Posts: 22
    Fantasy, AOS, regular tournie goer, but this my first card game and loving it
  • MARUU69MARUU69 Posts: 4
    I have played everything since MTG...But this game is different and captivated me and my friends so much that we play it every weekend.

@Hapyoo said:
    dragonball so happy i moved on

Which version of Dragonball did you play - the one from the mid 2000's or the more recent editions?

@MARUU69 said:
    But this game is different and captivated me and my friends so much that we play it every weekend.

That's some dedication! I'm looking forward to the online game releasing more fully so I can get some extra games in! I do enjoy the game, but I'd have to say I'm below average to terrible and need to get some practice to hone my skills. I think I'll also post something in the General section asking what folks like about the game.

• wingzerorwwingzerorw Posts: 3
    @Hapyoo Didn't like the new dragonball? I thought it was a fun game....

Prior to champions, for tcg I was playing dragonball and final fantasy... Other gaming I still play/collect 40k and am looking forward to news from nova open this week :smile:
  • I play a lot of the Pokemon TCG. Started back when it first came out, took a long break from playing in a competitive scene, and now I run a league at a local game store.

Similar to Pokemon, I like the digital bonus of buying physical boosters.
  • rumphsthumprumphsthump Posts: 13
    Well... i started with warhammer fantasy 20 years ago. Played shitloads of Diablo 1-3. Got back in to warhammer age of sigmar about 9 months ago, just got addicted.
  • GurahlGurahl Posts: 11
    really digging the new **** team at the moment
  • Widowmaker93Widowmaker93 Posts: 12
    Warmachine, A Game of Thrones LCG, Legend of the 5 Rings LCG, Lightseekers(app only), Hearthstone, many board games.
  • ChaosFractalChaosFractal Posts: 8
    I mostly play 40k and AoS, but I used to play casual magic until the local scene got too cut throat, me and my wife are gonna play champions mostly as a casual game while we wait for our D&D group to turn up
  • Kusnix1Kusnix1 Posts: 15
    edited August 2018
    What games do I or did I play prior to Champions?
    Uuummmmm, well.... Hhmmm............. Uuhhh

Well, when thinking it over it is quite a lot in fact. So much I can´t remember it all in fact. Regarding Champions, yes Warhammer that is, I haven´t played it at all. Just having a ton of Cards.so far. And a bit of Warhammer (now called) Age of Sigmar, and then Warhammer 40000, Space Hulk, Talisman, Blood Bowl. Also playing and have played a ton of other different Board Games. Like some of these Call of Cthulhu Board Games you know and some of these The Walking Dead Board Games, and a tons other things.

Ya, and when that Card Game called Magic the Gathering was quite new I remember I played that too. A lot. Today, I just can´t understand anyone bothers with it anymore. But it doesn´t matter, it is popular, but I am never ever gonna play it again. Many of those Cards I had once upon a time I sold. Some of them I just threw in the garbage, some cards got ripped apart, and some I just gave away. And you know what? I love the idea of not having a single Magic Card left.
  • SarovanSarovan Posts: 29
    Every TCG, literally, at least a little bit. Long time in MTG in my teens.
  • ZorzogothZorzogoth Posts: 12
    Lots of cardgames played. Right now I play Legend of the five rings, Netrunner and Warhammer Conquest. So needed a shorter game too and Warhammer Champions fits right into this category.
  • Too much to list, RPGs, Boardgames, Tabletop Games, TCGs and LCGs
  • HunthoHuntho Posts: 2
    Played a little bit of Hearthstone and MTG. Played a tonne of WFB and 5th-6th edition of 40K but I'm just starting to get back into with with AOS, which coincided perfectly with the release of champions
  • SvetgarSvetgar Posts: 14
    Heh. I remember playing the OLD Warhammer CCG, Warcry.

There, I just dated myself. Now get off my lawn!